The Twelve days of Tapnell
3 hundred cows (just a little over)
We love our cows and here are just a few reasons why we think they are magnificent animals.
1. Cows are red and green colour blind. So when a bull fighter waves a red flag the bull does not see the colour, he just charges at the silly man waving a flag.
2. Cows have almost a total 360-degree vision! So no sneaking up on a cow!
3. Cows can detect odors up to 6 miles away!
4. Cows are social animals (like you and me) and they naturally form large herds. There are some cows that they like and hang out with, and there are others they stay clear of.
5. A cow chews at least 50 times per minute
6. The average cow stands up and sits down 14 times a day. How often do you?
7. Cows only have teeth on the bottom of their mouth.
8. Cows do not bite grass, they curl their tongues around it and pull.
9. There are 350 udder squirts in a gallon of milk.
10. The most expensive cow that was sold was called ‘Missy’ and reached $1.2 Million for being so perfect.
11. Cattle have about 22,000 genes, and 80 percent of their genes are shared with humans!
12. Cows do not sleep standing up, and only sleep for about 4 hours a day.